Monday, August 6, 2012

Special Guest Feature: Grandma's Fried Rice

So, since I emailed my mom a link to my blog, she has been inspired to cook more often (she used to cook a lot when I was growing up but has seemed to retire from it)  Well, these days she has been cooking up a storm!  She prides herself in using what's in the fridge or the pantry. 
 Here's one of my favorites: Fried Rice

Grandma's Fried Rice

Cold Rice (Left-Overs)
Charsiu*
Roast Pork*
Round Onion
Green Onions
1 T. Mirin Sweet Cooking Seasoning
1 T. Oyster Sauce
2 T. Shoyu
Garlic Salt
Black Pepper

Chop charsiu and roast pork into small pieces keeping the fat which will replace oil.
Using a wok, brown meats and add cold rice breaking up rice and mixing it evenly with meats.

Add chopped round onions and chopped green onions (white stalk section)
Add mirin, oyster sauce, and shoyu.

Sprinkle in garlic salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with finely chopped green onions.
*May substitute with left-over meats. (ie. ham, spam, roast meat, etc.)
Be sure to coat wok with oil if meats are fat free.  I like using chopped bacon instead of oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment