Friday, July 26, 2013

Weeknight Meal: Easy and Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup (Kid Friendly/Kid Approved)

This is my "cheat" Chicken Soup. It tastes so good, fills you up and is so easy!  I love easy and fast and yummy of course.  I always have these ingredients around so this can even be a week night meal (maybe on a rainy day, winter night, or around flu season. I just cooked this to bring over to a friend that had surgery and couldn't get up and cook for herself, she thought it was as wonderful as I did, so I thought I'd share.  My mom gave me the idea to use canned chicken breast in soups/stews and I've also seen her use green beans also, so thanks Mom for the ideas!


*Veggies you can easily grow in a backyard or container garden and drop into your soup, fresh or frozen
Ingredients: 
Canned Chicken Breast (I use Costco - Kirkland Brand) with liquid
Canned or Boxed Chicken Broth 2-3 cans or 1 carton
Raw Small Pasta: Sm shells, curly pasta (I get the costco pack)
*Chopped Carrots (I just chop up the baby carrots I always have in stock, or throw them in whole!)
*Squash (optional) I froze some from last time I had squash and I thought it was great!
*Peas (Didn't have any but could have used some)
*Green Beans, cut to desired length (can also use frozen)
*Celery - (I used frozen)
Salt and Pepper to taste
*Chopped fresh thyme, oregano, and cilantro (just a little at first, then adjust to taste so you don't overpower the broth)



Directions:
1.  Boil Chicken Broth, canned chicken, and pasta until pasta is a little more raw than you'd like because you have to cook the veggies, but don't want it to get too soft.
2. Turn down heat to about medium and add carrots, green beans, peas, celery and squash.
3.  Add fresh herbs and let boil then simmer for a little while.
4.  Taste the soup and add herbs or salt/pepper as needed. 

The longer you have to let the soup simmer, the better it'll be, but I served it to my family immediately after everything was cooked through and they thought it was very good!  Especially the kids!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment