Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sloppy Joe recipe that doubles as a juicy Taco Salad Recipe (no extra sauce required)


My husband really likes Sloppy Joe's and we had some leftover hamburger buns, so I used a recipe I found on Pinterest, and tweaked it just a bit (recipe included below).  I am not a fan of Sloppy Joe's and surprisingly neither are my two girls.  So, here I had a dilemma.  2 lbs of Sloppy Joe meat mix and not enough mouths to eat it!  Of course I would never throw away perfectly good food, but I was not looking forward to eating it either.  I don't know why, but I just don't like Sloppy Joe's!  It's not the flavor, just the sloppy meat in a hamburger bun part.

Well, I had all the fixings to make taco salad, so I tried it and it was delicious!  A lot of taco salads I've had before are dry or not seasoned enough, or you have to put an extra sauce on the top,but this recipe doesn't need any extra sauce and even includes melty cheese!  Yum!

So, here you have two recipes: One for Sloppy Joe Mix, and one for the leftovers - Taco Salad! Or one recipe that can make everyone happy, especially if you have one Sloppy Joe lover and the rest Taco Salad lovers. 

Again I apologize for not having the exact measurements since I just eyeball it.  Please use your own discretion and always taste, taste, taste your food.  It should tell you what you need more of.

Sloppy Joe's Recipe
2 lbs ground beef (Salt n Pepper to Taste)
1/2 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1 and 1/2 Tbsp or so of worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp or so of sugar
 Shredded Cheese, mixed cheddar and mozzarella or cheddar alone or mozzarella alone

1.  Brown ground beef in oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, add chopped onions. (Drain some, keep some juices for the sauce, depending on how much liquid in pan)
2.  Add bellpepper, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and sugar and stir til well combined.
3.  Let simmer for 10 minutes or so
4. Layer meat mix onto hamburger buns
5.  Top with cheese, put top bun on, serve with crunchy carrots or celery.
*Add hot sauce or (haven't tried this yet), but ranch dressing??? Lemme know how it is.


Taco Salad (Layer in order for best results)
Tortilla Chips
Chopped Lettuce
Meat mix with melty cheese on top (can heat up meat, topped with cheese in microwave for leftovers)
Chopped Tomatoes

So simple, but oh so yum!  I like to mix mine all together and chow down. 




No comments:

Post a Comment